The Fourth Trimester
BY KIMBERLY ANN JOHNSON
The Fourth Trimester is a holistic guide that offers practical guidance for women making the physical, emotional, relational, and spiritual transition into motherhood.
Deeply impactful on both the individual and global level, it’s shifted the experience of motherhood for women all over the world — and helped make this universal, yet widely-ignored experience of postpartum healing a priority in national policy.
Praise For The Fourth Trimester:
It happens to all of us. But nobody’s talking about it.
Birth is one of the most fundamentally human experiences there is — and yet, many mothers go through it, and the vital postpartum healing period, largely on their own.
We’re left to navigate this incredibly important time in our lives through trial-and-error and best guesses, while we’re already worn down and emotional from the upheaval that even the happiest, most ease-filled birth is.
The Fourth Trimester changes all of that.
In it, somatic practitioner, postpartum authority, and birth doula Kimberly reframes the birth and postpartum experience, teaching you everything you need to know both on a physical and energetic level to have an empowered birth and a safe and healthy transition into motherhood.
With a mix of practical how-to’s and fiercely compassionate emotional support, The Fourth Trimester is the grounded, gentle guide every mother-to-be and mother should have.
- How you can prepare your body for birth, including practical strategies for minimizing trauma and injuries.
- How to organize yourself and your household for the best possible transition into motherhood.
- Simple practices and home remedies to facilitate healing and restore your energy.
- How to strengthen your relationships postpartum, and aid the return to sex.
- The keys to exercising safely postpartum.
- How to carry your baby with comfort.
- Ways to explore the complex, and often conflicting emotions that arise postpartum.
- How to work with your body, not against it, during your postpartum healing.
- The six elements that make up a supportive postpartum sanctuary plan.
- Ways to reconnect with yourself and heal after a traumatic birth — and how having a healthy individual fourth trimester helps the whole world mother better.
Kimberly Ann Johnson is a sought after practitioner and lead authority in postpartum health. Johnson has been working in integrative women’s health and trauma recovery for more than a decade. Her work has been featured in The New York Times, Forbes, Vogue, New York Magazine’s The Cut, Harper’s Bazaar, Today.com and many more. She has most recently published Call of the Wild, a data-driven guide to shifting your relationship with trauma.
In The Fourth Trimester, she meets readers where they’re at — in the critical transformation from woman to mother — and guides them through this rite of passage with a grounded compassion that comes from years of being a somatic practitioner and birth doula.